We are writing to let you know that Prospect has now released our A Future for UK Aviation manifesto, which sets out what we believe should be the future of the industry. We intend for this document to help inform the government’s thinking on aviation.
Prospect is proud to speak up for the UK aviation industry on your behalf. Prospect members in aviation work day in and day out to make the industry a success, and to serve the public safely and efficiently. Together we can ensure the voices of expert workers are heard, especially as the government considers important decisions related to Brexit.
We know that Prospect members took different views in the EU referendum, however, it is undeniable that Brexit has forced us to confront the challenges facing the aviation industry and debate its future direction.
Currently the government is failing to describe what a post-Brexit aviation industry will look like. Through Prospect’s A Future for UK Aviation manifesto, we have set out the main principles which need to be considered to ensure safety and resilience across the sector and avoid a race to the bottom.
These principles include:
- Breaking up the Civil Aviation Authority and establishing a new UK Aviation Safety Agency
- An agreement on landing rights for UK aircraft in EU member states, and intra-EU flying rights for UK operators
- Continued membership of the European Aviation Safety Agency
- Exiting the EU performance regime and designing a new framework that supports the safety, quality and employment standards of UK aviation
- An end to the planning blight that holds back infrastructure development
Prospect already represents over 5,000 professionals working in airlines, airports, air traffic control services and the Civil Aviation Authority, but the more members we have, the stronger our voice to fight on your behalf. Please consider sharing our manifesto with your colleagues, and encourage them to join Prospect.
Steve Jary, Group Secretary and Andy Mooney, Group Chair
Prospect Aviation Group